Portable generators open up a world of possibilities. A mobile source of electricity is perfect for camping–nothing is better than movie night under the stars. In addition to providing electricity for our pastimes, it also offers peace of mind at home.
With a mobile generator, you’ll be equally ready for camping in a national forest and getting the lights back on after a disaster.
But portable generators come in all shapes and sizes to fit a huge array of situations. So which generator is the right fit for you?
Here are the best questions to consider before buying a portable generator, along with some of our personal suggestions for great purchases.
How Quiet is it?
Nothing ruins a pristine campsite like the guttural running of a noisy generator. Some generators can even be as noisy as 100 decibels(db), which is in a range harmful to human hearing.
Noise is an important consideration, so before purchasing your generator, check its db level to ensure it’s right for the environment in which you plan to use it.
- WEN 56203i Super Quiet
- This quiet generator creates only 51db, which is about as noisy as a normal conversation. Perfect for maintaining the quiet beauty of nature while still getting the electricity you need.
How Much Power Can It Generate?
A family of four with an RV will have drastically different power requirements than a single tenter who just wants to power their laptop. Consider how many electronics you’ll need to power at the same time, total their wattage, and plan according.
- A-iPower SUA12000E
- This heavy-duty generator has the tank size and power output to supply a tiny village. Its 12000-watt output can be sustained for 7 hours at a time. It’s also flexible enough to run at half strength to increase run time.
- Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer
- This impressively portable generator is ideal for tenting or backpacking. It provides 200 Watts, can be recharged at home, from a car, or using solar power, and is lightweight enough for every adventure.
How Much Does It Cost?
The deciding factor in most purchases is our budget, but high-quality portable generators are well within reach for budgets of every size. Every penny saved is a penny you can spend on your dream camping trip.
- Powermate PM2000 49ST
- This generator is perfect for anyone who needs a fair amount of energy without breaking the bank. Few generators under $500 will provide the quality and wattage that this option does.
The best generator for each situation may be different, but oftentimes we rely on it for a vast range of tasks. In that case, we need to balance noise and power while still respecting our wallets. So if you’re looking for the best all-around generator, look no further.
- Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment iGen2200
- This generator provides 2200 watts of power.
- It produces only 52db of noise while running.
- Its 1.14-gallon tank can last up to 12 hours.
- Often available for under $500.
If you still need some assistance with picking the right generator for your needs, don’t hesitate to contact us here at Midwest Generator Solutions, and we would be more than happy to help!