With recent tornadoes, flu outbreaks, and other disasters on the minds of Americans, many folks are wondering how they can best prepare for an emergency situation.
One of the most important pieces of a disaster-preparedness kit is a generator.
Still, with so many options on the market, it’s important to find out what is the best backup generator for disaster preparedness.
Permanent or Portable Generator?
Generators can be broken down into two general categories; permanent and portable.
Permanent generators are installed at your home and business and stay there for the long haul. Portable generators can go with you, wherever you need to go in an emergency. Both have their advantages and drawbacks.
Pros of Portable Generators:
- Portability means you can bring it anywhere, anytime, as long as you remember to bring fuel.
- Affordability means you won’t break the budget.
Cons of Portable Generators:
- Running on gasoline means that you have to keep a supply of gas on hand and remember to replace it a couple of times a year so it doesn’t go stale.
- Shutting it off every few hours to let it cool down and refuel it.
- Wrangling long extension cords.
- Dealing with the fact that you’ll only be able to power up the most important essentials.
Pros of Permanent Generators:
- Automatic switches mean you’re generator will kick on before you even realize what’s happening when the power goes off in the middle of the night.
- Direct connection to your home’s electrical system means even your HVAC system will keep running during power outages.
- Fueled by natural gas, you won’t have to worry about storing gasoline in your garage.
- Power much more of your house for much longer than a portable generator.
Cons of Permanent Generators:
- Investing in a permanent generator may not be in your budget.
- Committing to staying at home in an emergency situation to use your generator may not be practical in your area if fleeing your home is the safer option.
It would not hurt to invest in both types of generators. If you have to stay at home in an emergency situation without power, a permanent generator is definitely the way to go. If you have to flee your home and take care of your family on the run, a portable generator is for you.
The tough part is, you can’t always anticipate what kind of disaster will happen. The good news is, you can prepare for them!
Leading Permanent Generators
Here at Midwest Generator Solutions, we are authorized dealers of the industry’s top permanent generators for both residential and commercial applications.
Top 3 Permanent Generator Brands for Disasters:
When you need a reliable generator in times of disaster, you won’t regret having installed any one of these excellent brands.
Professional Generator Installation Services Indiana
With countless natural disasters occurring on an ever-increasing scale your family cannot afford to forgo having an emergency plan.
An important step to your disaster preparedness is having a reliable backup power source.
Contact us at Midwest Generator Solutions today to learn about your generator options and find out how to check this important item off your emergency plan list.